Stuffed Acorn Squash Cups with Sausage and Apples
Prep Time:1 hr
Total Time:1 hr 50 minutes
- 3 medium acorn squash
- 2 cups white rice
- 1 pkg. (16 oz.) bulk sausage
- 1-½ cups Crunch Pak sliced tart apples, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 cups water
- Dash of salt
- Dash of pepper
- Cut squash in half and scoop out the pulp and seeds. Cut bottoms so they stand upright. Place squash on a 13 x 9-inch baking foil lined baking pan. Add 1 tablespoon of butter and salt and pepper to each squash cup. Bake for 1 hour in 400 degree preheated oven; set aside on baking pan.
- Boil 4 cups of water with rice and 1 Tbsp. of olive oil. Cook rice until tender; set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet and add onion and sauté for 2-4 minutes. Add sausage to skillet, break apart with a spatula and cook through; strain excess fat. Combine cooked rice and apple with the sausage mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add sausage mixture to each cooked acorn squash cup and top with Parmesan cheese and parsley. Return to a 400-degree preheated oven for 10 minutes until cheese begins to brown.