Halloween Apple Hand Pies
Gather your cookie cutters and have fun in the kitchen making Halloween hand pies! Grab the recipe by Twinkle Twinkle Little Party using our Honeycrisp and Tart Apple Slices!
- 4 store-bought pie crusts Note: (The number of pies depends on the size of your cutters. I used 3 different sizes)
- 4 cups Crunch Pak Sweet or Tart Apple Slices. Note: you can mix both, 2 of each kind with 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Sugar for sprinkling
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Lightly flour a flat surface to roll your dough. Use cookie cutter to cut out shapes. Place the cut-out shapes on the baking sheets and transfer to refrigerator to chill.
- In a large pot, combine apples, lemon juice, water, sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl until all apples are coated with the mixture.
- Bring to a boil on high heat, then turn to low and cover. Maintain a low simmer for 30 minutes or until the apples are completely soft and cooked through.
- Once fully cooked, remove from heat. For a chunky apple filling, mash the apples in the pot. For a smooth apple filling, add to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth (if using a blender, work in batches and allow time to cool).
- Remove cut-out dough from the fridge, distribute the apple filling between half of them. Make sure to leave room on the edges.
- Place the other 1/2 on top of the cut-out dough shapes which contains the apple filling. Dampen the edges with water if needed and crimp the edges with a fork. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake pies for 18-20 minutes.
You can also use our Peeled Apple Slices for this recipe!