Bakery Style Apple Slices
These apple slices by The Produce Moms are the perfect sweet treat for any get-together.
Prep Time:15 minutes
Total Time:45 minutes
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup water
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Apple Pie Filling
- 1 24 oz Bag of Crunch Pak Mixed Apple Slices
- 1/3 c sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp apple pie spice
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
For the Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted or softened butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons whole milk more to thin, if necessary
- 1-2 drops food coloring if desired
- sprinkles if desired
To Make Pie Filling
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pan.
- Next, add in your apple pie spice and stir until combined.
- Once the butter and apple pie spice are combined, add in the Crunch Pak apple slices.
- Next, add in the sugar and water. This will create the base for the sauce.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water. Stir to combine, and add into the apples, stirring to incorporate into the sauce. This helps to thicken the sauce up for the filling. Cook for about a minute until thick.
To Make the Glaze
- Combine sugar, softened butter, vanilla and milk until smooth, adding more milk if necessary for consistency. Add in 1-2 drops of pink food coloring, if desired.
To Make the Apple Slices Pastry
- Preheat the oven to 400º.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Add in butter and cut in with pastry cutter or fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a measuring cup, mix vegetable oil, water, egg yolks and lemon juice together and pour over flour mixture. Blend gently with a fork until combined; mixture will be very moist.
- Divide dough in half. Roll or pat one half of dough directly into 9″ by 13″ pan, bringing dough slightly up the edges (you can use your hands/fingers or a mini rolling pin). Spread apple filling evenly over the dough. Roll remaining dough to fit the top, either on a well floured pastry board or the back of a sheet pan and then carefully flip it over the top.
- Press or pinch the edges together, don’t worry if it doesn’t seal completely, as long as top is completely covering apples. Patch where necessary.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the crust is lightly browned, rotating pan halfway. Remove to rack to cool.
- Spread glaze over top of crust with an offset spatula and let glaze set and harden. Add sprinkles, if desired. Cut into 2- or 3-inch squares and enjoy!