Apple Pecan Upside Down Cake
The gooey apple and nut topping on this Apple Pecan Upside Down Cake is so good. The fun twist to the classic old recipe makes this a great cake to share this fall.
Prep Time:20 Min
Total Time:70 Min
Yields:24 Pieces of Cake
For the Cake
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon apple pie spice
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
For the Topping
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup pecan chips
- 1 bag Crunch Pak Apple Rings
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 pan with nonstick spray.
- Beat the butter and sugars until creamy. Add the eggs, vanilla, and apple cider and beat again.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and apple pie spice. Slowly mix that into the butter mixture with the buttermilk. Set aside.
- Place the butter, brown sugar, and whipping cream in a small saucepan. Heat on medium heat until melted. Stir everything together and pour in the prepared pan.
- Press apple rings into the caramel mixture. Sprinkle the pecans around the apples and in the centers.
- Gently spoon the cake batter on top of everything. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove and cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then place another tray on top of the cake and flip it out gently. Let the pan rest there for a minute so that all the caramel drips out. Remove and cool slightly.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and caramel topping, if desired. Store covered at room temperature.
- Make sure you set out your butter ahead of time. It is easier to beat your butter and sugars when it is soft.
- Beat together your cake ingredients first.
- Heat the butter, cream, and sugar in a small saucepan until it is melted.
- Spray your cake pan very well with nonstick spray. The best thing I have found is Baker’s Joy. You want all the caramel cake goodness to come off the bottom.
- Pour the melted mixture in the bottom and press the Crunch Pak Apple Rings into the caramel.
- Sprinkle pecan chips around the apples and in the centers.
- Gently spoon your cake batter on top, so that the apples do not move around too much.
- Once the cake has baked, let it cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Then place another pan on top and flip it out carefully.
- Serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and caramel topping!
- Store it covered at room temperature. I recommend brushing a little bit of caramel topping over the apples if you make this cake the day before. This just makes the apples look gooey and pretty again. Don’t forget to warm each slice up in the microwave for about 10-12 seconds before adding the ice cream. Trust me.