Dear Crunch Pak Customers:
Some of you noticed that we removed the re-closeable zipper from the 14 oz bags of Crunch Pak sliced apples. In doing so, we save precious resources and stop more than 58,684 pounds of plastic from going into our landfills annually and avoided 86,676 pounds of CO2e emissions by stopping production of the zippers.
Thank you for your interest in our sustainability efforts; Crunch Pak cares about our customers and the environment we all share. Crunch on!
As citizens of the community and of the greater world – with families, friends and children who live, work and play here – Crunch Pak takes its environmental responsibilities very seriously. Here are a few of the steps we take each day to ensure a safe and happy future:
- Reducing the thickness of our clamshell packaging by 10% saves more than 26 tons of packaging annually. We have also reduced the thickness of single-serve bags by 20%.
- Redesigning our shipping cartons to use more recycled post-consumer corrugate keeps more than 29 tons of paperboard out of landfills annually.
- Additionally, our use of recycled post-consumer corrugate in shipping cartons shrinks our carbon footprint by:
- Reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 111 tons per year.
- Reducing water use by more than 1 million gallons per year.
- Recycling of apple waste products in biomass generators, cattle feedlots and compost production keeps 500,000 pounds of material out of local landfills each week.
- By supporting the growth of the largest organic apple growers in the U.S., we help reduce the amount of petroleum-based pesticides and fertilizers used.
- The installation of high-speed electric doors in our cold storage facilities dramatically reduces electricity usage.
- Upgrades to high-efficiency cooling units reduces electricity usage throughout 65,000 square feet of cold storage space.
- Conversion to high-efficiency water nozzles, along with additional water conservation plans, reduces water usage by more than 3.7 million gallons annually.
- Efficient reconfiguration of the way we stack our pallets in trucks reduces our carbon footprint for shipping by 35%.
- Use of recycled post-consumer plastic (PET) significantly reduces the amount of raw materials and energy needed to produce the same amount of virgin PET. In a study of one customer’s packaging (Costco), these energy and resource savings are equivalent to:
- Removing 46 cars from the road for a year.
- Planting 67 acres of trees.
- Powering 11 households for a day.